Wednesday, June 1, 2011

You Were My (Fill in the Blank)

There is a fantastic, brilliant rumor roaming the internet right now: David Tennant will be returning for the season finale of Doctor Who. Let me say right now: I HAVE NO IDEA WHETHER THE RUMOR IS TRUE OR NOT! IMDB reports that Tennant along with the fifth Doctor, Peter Davison, are appearing in this season's finale alongside the current Doctor, Matt Smith. In general, IMDB is quasi-reliable (at least for release dates); however, current show runner Steven Moffat is sneaky and sometimes too brilliant for his own good. Moffat hasn't tweeted Tennant's return which, honestly, doesn't hurt or help the rumor.
Regardless of whether the rumor is true or not, the idea of it got me thinking and remembering a mini-Doctor Who episode that had both Tennant and Davison. In the small (maybe five minute) episode "Time Crash", Tennant tells Davison, "You were MY Doctor." Of course, this made me want to make a list of my MY's "fill in the blanks."
  • David Tennant--You were MY Doctor. Yes, I enjoy the others and Smith is growing on me more and more each episode--but it still ends and begins with Tennant for me.
  • Lestat--You were MY vampire. I read, watch, and write way too many vampire books, shows, movies, and stories. But at the end of the day, my first fang love will always be Lestat. (For clarification, I mean the literary character, NOT Tom Cruise or Stuart Townsend.)
  • Vincent D'Onofrio--You were MY Thor. I enjoyed the new movie and Chris Hemsworth was very entertaining. However, Adventures in Babysitting is one of my all time feel good movies; and nothing beats Sara handing you the helmet and melting your heart.
  • Sarah Michelle Gellar--You were MY Buffy. Don't get me wrong I loved the movie for the brainchild it was, and doing a reboot without Joss is (and I quote) "are really stupid idea." When all is said and done, I want my world saving, asses kicked and clever quips said by SMG.
  • Michael Keaton--You were MY Batman. I know Christian Bale is doing a great job with the darker, re-envisioning; BUT who didn't LOVE Keaton as the man with great toys?
  • Christopher Reeve--You were MY Superman. (Wow, I am really showing my comic book geekiness!) I am a fan of all things Man of Steel, and Superman vs Batman is a common debate in my home. But when I read a Superman or Kal-El story, it's Christopher I will always picture.
  • Tim Curry--You were MY Frank-n-Furter. Frank is going to be another victim of a reboot. This reboot is especially annoying to me because is being headed by the dreaded Ryan Murphy; he might make Frank into an African-American, heterosexual woman...Oh wait! He already did that on Glee
I'm sure there are countless others that could be added to this list, especially with the ever growing trend of reboots. If I made a list of all the rehashed characters, this blog would never end. So, I'll leave you with MY top picks.

No comments:

Post a Comment