Friday, May 27, 2011

She's Country

Before I could speak, my dad would sing George Strait's "Baby Blue" to me and I would "Ooo" in tune with him (this is according to him--It was the early '80's so I don't think there's video to prove it). This story is a favorite of my parents to tell accompanied with the line, "she could sing before she could talk." I can't disprove any of this, especially since I don't remember a time in my life without a love affair for music--especially country music.

My love for music includes a wide variety, but chick country is always my comfort zone (insert my husband's eye roll here). Chick country (any song by a female artist in that genre) has been my favorite since my dad popped in a Pasty Cline cassette before I was old enough to work a tape player. As I got older, I fell in adoration of Reba, Martina, Faith (I have her first album Take Me as I Am on cassette, CD, and iTunes) and the like.
Chick country lends itself very accommodatingly to my voice and always has. I remember being bitter during voice recitals when I had to sing "Ave Maria" or some classical song that no one knows. I would always make my grandfather painfully sit through Star Search (that's a performance competition show that was BEFORE Idol; can you imagine?).

But by the time American Idol started I had readjusted my dream of once singing on the Grand Ole Opry stage to more realistic ventures--you know, television production. So, I didn't watch the first several seasons beyond the auditions because it was too bitter-sweet. Then during the 4th season auditions, I saw a girl belt out "Independence Day" by Martina McBride. I swore I would only watch as long as she was in the competition; turns out I watched the whole thing and Carrie Underwood accepted the title.

Carrie at the Opry. Pulled from newsok.com
Carrie Underwood is by far one of my favorite chick country artist now. I will watch any thing that has her appearing. I love her music and she happens to be a "sister" (this would be the first blog shout out for ΣΣΣ).

My Carrie support reared it's ugly head this week. After only watching the American Idol's auditions this season, I felt the need to tune into the two part finale. I'll admit, I only tuned in the first night because Carrie Underwood was picking one of Lauren song's, and I--incorrectly--thought there would be a tape piece that featured Carrie. So, I tuned into the big night with no one confirming who was performing beyond Lady Gaga. But I listened to my gut because I just knew Carrie would be there, and I was right! But as much as I love the girl, Scotty's duet with Tim McGraw was tons better than her and Lauren.

No comments:

Post a Comment