Friday, June 24, 2011

Only For the Avid Reader

I finally read all three books of what is referred to has the Millennium Trilogy, although most people I know refer to it as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy.  I have to be honest--I don't get it, and you should consider me NOT on the bandwagon. I am certain several thousands of people disagree...BUT:
The books are enjoyable, sort of. The first one is enjoyable about 300 pages in, the second about 200 pages and the third from the beginning. To me, especially with the first book, it took 300 pages for the story to finally start. The first part is ALL setup. Maybe I've officially become a part of the ADD generation, but that's excessive, unnecessary exposition. But I was also the same kid who read Charles Dickens for fun, so I find it hard to believe that it was ADD kicking in at almost 30 years of age.

Please understand, I'm not talking ill of the dead. Stieg Larsson clearly had a brilliant mind that was very creative; however, parts of his books almost read like he's giving a history report. I, by no means, am saying that Swedish history and scandal are not important and enthralling--but for a novel I don't need to know every nook and cranny. There's also the curious part of me that thinks fiction shouldn't have footnotes: You should intrigue your audience enough to make them research and learn on their own.
Another reason that it dragged for me is that I really just don't care for third person narrative at this point in my reading career. Because at the end of the day, I want to be in a character's head. I want to know their emotions, motivations and their fears. It plugs the reader (at least for me) deeper into the story and adds a connection that third person never truly accomplishes.

Also (and I may just be too sensitive to this issue) the sex in the book seems skewed. Sex scenes in a book that move the plot do not offend me, so the scene(s) in this trilogy didn't offend me. What does somewhat irritated me is that the only scene that actually details and describes the sex is a rape scene. There are other scenes where sex is alluded to but the narrative cuts off right as "so and so" land in bed, even though it is made clear more times that I can count in the books that both main characters enjoy sex. I realize that the rape scene is highly important to the overall story but I think this decision misrepresents Lisbeth's over all view of sex.
I will admit it took me far longer to finish The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo than it should have (I'm talking months here). I made it through the last two books much quicker for a few reasons: 1. My work schedule is currently not insane; 2. The action in the books was kicked into high gear; and 3. I vowed to myself that I'd finish the series.

While the books are intriguing and the main character Lisbeth Salander is spellbinding and disturbing, I can only recommend these books for an consistent readers. If you only read occasionally or don't truly enjoy reading, I don't think this is the book for you. Any other words: Only avid readers need apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment