Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Keep Staring at Russia

I tend not to talk politics because, for starters, it depends on the issue not the party for me. My parents always taught me to vote for what I believed in, which meant I could care less if a candidate is republican, democrat, independent, green, polka dot, whatever.  And technically this post isn't really about politics, but it is about a politician's family.

During the last election there were tons of issues that got under my skin, but nothing will make a person lose all credibility and respect from me quicker than not protecting rape survivors. Alas, it brings me to the first Palin offender: Sarah Palin herself. I was mortified and outraged that to save money on the Alaska budget as Governor she, at the very least, allowed survivors to pay for the processing of their own rape kits.

Yes, I'm aware that she claims ignorance of this claim despite the fact that she also claims to have gone through the budgets of different towns/cities line by line. Palin is one of, what I consider, still a small group of women in politics. In my opinion she should be a leader for women and protect them and their rights to the umpteenth degree, and ignorance is not a valid excuse for falling short.

Based on Bristol Palin's recent book, she also doesn't set an accurate or good example at home either. I will admit right now that I have not read the book, and truthfully do not intend to because this family doesn't deserve my money in their pockets. However, the last several days (almost a week) the news circuit has been flooded with Bristol and her account of "losing" her virginity.

She tells a story of getting drunk on wine coolers to the point of not remembering the night, and says that Levi stole her virginity. Then she goes on national television saying, "I never said it was date rape." UGH! (Pulling my hair out, throwing things and wanting to seriously forget that the Palins ever quit staring at Russia!)

The quote that truly sends me over the edge is the one on Good Morning America today:

"I'm not accusing Levi of date rape, or rape at all, but I am just looking back with the adult eyes that I have now and just thinking that was a foolish decision," Bristol says. "I should have never been underage drinking and I should have never gotten myself into a situation like that."
Could this sound more like a survivor (or more rather a victim that still hasn't coped)? What survivor hasn't blamed theirself at first? This reaction to an assault tells victims that they should blame themselves. It's beyond tragic that a young woman that is so well known and can get air time on television is spewing this vomitous rhetoric from her mouth. This type of rationalization is what advocates, supporters, survivors, and some law makers have tried to change for decades.
I sincerely hope that any survivor takes her words with the grain of salt they should be. And for any girl who thinks it's okay to have their virginity "stolen" on a drunken night they don't remember, I pity you. Below is an appropriate definition for a drug facilitated sexual assault:
"When drugs or alcohol are used to compromise an individuals ability to consent to sexual activity. In addition, drugs and alcohol are often used in order to minimize the resistance and memory of the victim of a sexual assault."
I highly doubt Bristol will read this, but if one survivor does and realizes the sexual assault they experienced was NOT their fault regardless of underage drinking, drugging or being somewhere they weren't supposed to be then this post will have made all the difference. But on the off chance Bristol does read it: Please, please, please quit flinging your ignorance like a poo slinging monkey around when rape survivors are already not respected and protected. Also, pay careful attention to the definition above.

No comments:

Post a Comment