Monday, April 11, 2011

A Good Doctor

For anyone who thinks I'm going to talk about a strange medical condition or talk about an intrusive exam, do not worry--not going to happen. I firmly believe there is such a thing as TMI and I refuse to do that, at least at this point. Instead, I will be talking about my latest obsession: Doctor Who.


I have two very close friends who are to blame for this infatuation. But the truth is, I'm shocked I didn't find it on my own. The show as everything I love: snarky humor, sci-fi elements, supernatural elements, cleverly embedded foreshadowing, social commentary, a tortured guy who copes with humor, and a season long story arc. Not to mention one of my other favorite shows, Torchwood, spun off from Doctor Who.

I spent four days of my recent vacation doing nothing but watching the reboot of Doctor Who, spending time with my husband and sleeping. It's safe to say I became addicted to Russell T. Davies. I say to Davies and not the actual show because Davies is brilliant. I am in LOVE with the way he weaves story and drops subtle foreshadowing. His skill makes you want to immediately go back and re-watch an episode just to see if you missed any clues.

Couple that brilliance with the phenomenal David Tennant, and the show, for three years, could do no wrong. The first season of the re-boot were still fantastic, but Christopher Eccleston was a little too spastic for me. But you can't deny that he and Billie Piper were successful at relaunching this brand. I really liked Piper and once she was paired with Tennant it became adoration (I'll do an entire post on the Doctor's companions later, though).

Pulled from: http://www.streetprophets.com/story/2010/1/4/348/98729
However, this adoration made me very tentative about watching the most recent season with a new Doctor and show runner. That being said, I was able to watch the last 4 episodes on demand through cable television. Matt Smith didn't make me all warm and fuzzy like Tennant, but he's not a bad Doctor. The writing, to me wasn't as clever and crisp, but Smith was enjoyable and fun. In fact, one could say he's a good Doctor. We all have our favorite Doctor who we'd love to hitch a ride on the TARDIS with; but a favorite doesn't make them the only good Doctor.

1 comment:

  1. One never knows when one may need one's Doctor :)

    ReplyDelete