Thursday, June 2, 2011

Writer-Struck

A couple of weeks ago I did a post about the 10 women that I consider celeb heroes. When I made the list I didn't necessarily anticipate that I would actually get to meet any of them. But within days of the post, Golden Apple Comics announced an event that included my number 5--Jane Espenson. How could I miss that?

Once I committed to going, I had to wonder if I would lose part of my gumption. I mean, working in Hollywood I see actors off and on all the time. They don't scare me--I do not get star-struck. I will gladly say, "hello" and start a conversation. I once had an entire conversation with Brian Krause (the actor that convinced me boys weren't yucky in Return to the Blue Lagoon) without blinking an eye.

This fall, however, I learned that I get a different kind of struck. I get writer-struck. I was leaving work and walked right by Joss Whedon. I was on the phone with my mom and stopped speaking mid-sentence. I couldn't get a syllable out (I think my mom thought I dropped the phone). Once I found my motor skills again, I informed my mom of what just happened; she asked, "Did you say hi?" Ugh! No, Mom. Did you miss the radio silence?


So, last night I had the opportunity to meet Jane Espenson (an amazing television writer) and I spaced...Not entirely...I mean words came out, but completely in the wrong order. I told her she was one of my heroes because she is. She then asked if I was an aspiring writer, and I FROZE. My knee-jerk reaction for whatever reason was to tell her what I currently get paid to do, accompanied with the word "no." 

Completely untrue! I most definitely am, even if you don't count the blog. Granted I don't want to be a television writer because my heart is in books; but still "no?" I have no idea what I was thinking. I think it was a combination of being writer-struck and the fact there was a line of people behind me. Being from the South, I often feel that I shouldn't take too much time if there are other people waiting.

But Jane was still gracious and kind and we talked daytime TV for a bit, even though I was dying to ask about Torchwood: Miracle Day or Once Upon a Time. She even agreed to take a picture with me, and told me she was glad to meet me! Well, Jane, I assure you that I am the one who is completely over the moon to have been given a moment of your time!
Jane Espenson and me at Golden Apple Comics!
So, as of June 1st my number 5 is crossed off my list. Although I hope at sometime in the future I can pick her gorgeous brain without getting writer-struck.

No comments:

Post a Comment