Thursday, June 23, 2011

(Not) Left Behind

In August 2003, I made the move out West from my home state of South Carolina. This move fulfilled a self-proclaimed prophecy I made at 5 years old. Granted my 5 year old self wanted to sing and act; a goal that drastically changed before I graduated high school. I distinctly remember at the time that I just wanted to get away from my sleepy town and stifling state (all the while knowing it was beautifully green and friendly).

At 22 years of age my eyes were huge with wonder and my stomach was filled with excitement and anticipation. I thought to myself multiple times during the drive out west, "I'm finally getting out." I had no idea that I would be horribly homesick my first semester and that I would without a doubt miss the South and the opportunities it didn't hold for a life in television.

The longer I've stayed out West, the prouder I've become of my state. Yes, I know that many people judge the South, and I'm not saying mistakes have never been made in my home state. But at the end of the day, my comfort foods, sounds and activities come directly from the very place I couldn't wait to leave.

So, this morning I was deeply amused when I heard the statement: "I thought once people left the South they left the grits behind." It made me wonder what else I've refused to part with...
  • Grits (obviously). I don't have the selection out in La La land that South Cackalacki offered, but at least I can find some. Although typically I can only find Quaker Oats' Instant Grits, which is truthfully perfect because my husband doesn't particularly like grits.
  • Boiled Peanuts. My mom has to ship me raw green peanuts from back home (actually from Cayce Farmer's Market to be exact) in order to make them the right way. I have yet to find a steady place in Los Angeles to buy green peanuts when they are in season. Occasionally I can find raw peanuts, but they are always the size of goober peas--which means they are never as good.
  • Country Music. This drives my husband crazy, but I will love country music until the day I die. LA only has one wide reaching station, and my radio reflects that accordingly. (I typically only flip between Go Country 105 and my iPod; I, honestly, don't even know what other stations are in LA! Ha!)
  • Red Velvet Cake. Yes, I know it's all the rage everywhere now. But as a little girl I was only able to have red velvet around Christmas, and it was always from scratch. My grandmother (Ed Nanny is what we call her) use to think it was hilarious to watch 5-foot-nothing Polly fight against her Uncle Al (who's over a foot taller, and intimidating if you don't know him) for the most pieces of her homemade red velvet cake.
  • Tailgating. I know other places in the country claim to tailgate, but I hate to tell you: you haven't tailgated until you've done so for a Carolina football game (or even my little Newberry football games). Nothing beats waking up exceptionally early and drinking mimosa's for a few hours, then ice cold beer and grilling.
  • BBQ (shredded pork, not just cooking on the grill). If the BBQ sauce is red, it's not the right color: It should be yellow. Back home or BBQ sauce is made with mustard and vinegar and it's sent from heaven. I loved Saturdays where my dad picked up Hites BBQ (a whole in the wall where you only pick up your food).  Once home, I'd fix a hash (if you don't know what it is, just eat it--don't ask) sandwich and pour that mustardy-vingeary goodness on it. (My mom occassionaly ships me BBQ sauce along with my peanuts.)
A picture of my favorite BBQ joint back home.
  • "Y'all." I know that it's not grammatically correct, but this will never leave my vocabulary. It's a homey sound that soothes the soul.
So, while I now accept the fact that I am a Los Angeleno, a part of my heart will always be in South Carolina. And no amount of time in Cali will change the fact that I am a Carolina Girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment