Wednesday, May 4, 2011

You Sang What?

Last week, my Ingy told me I should really watch NBC's new show The Voice. I wouldn't say I was argumentative to the suggestion, although I probably was. I told her that I couldn't even watch American Idol anymore. The truth is reality TV for me, until about the last year, meant the quiz show Jeopardy. I am one of those nerds who went to film TV school; I have a great respect for writers of TV and film. I absolutely hate the idea that reality TV is trying to make them defunct (but I honestly have to believe that this will never come to pass).
Anywho, I begrudgingly taped The Voice last week to support my Ingy's friends. To be completely honest, I didn't get the chance to watch it until Friday. That night only being two or three performers in I had to text Ingy--I was in love. The combination of "coaches" (Blake Shelton, Christina Aguilera, CeeLo, and Adam Levine) didn't make sense in my imagination, but in reality they were fantastic!

Last night I watched the conclusion of the "blind auditions" (the coaches can't see who they've chosen to be on their teams; just have to rely on their ears). Last weeks was definitely better because the coaches went head to head far more often, but it was still fun to watch. Plus being a country girl at heart, Blake Shelton is soooo much fun to watch.  Also last week, though, the talent was better over all (which explains the coaches going head to head more).

But I also think that the song selections overall were just better. Last night we had one guy who sang CeeLo and had his dream come true by being put on his team. But then we had two girls (who I won't give my full opinion judgement of yet) who sang Miranda Lambert (you know, Shelton's fiance?) songs. Let me say right here and now that Lambert fills my iPod, and "Kerosene" is my karaoke jam. But I would never, never, NEVER sing a song of hers for an audition in front of Blake Shelton.
One girl (who's had enough career success that I'm not sure why she's on the show) did "Gunpowder and Lead." Great song, but more of a crowd song--it serves no purpose for a group with their backs to you. The second girl who claimed to be a HUGE Blake Shelton sang "The House That Built Me." Two problems there: 1. It is Miranda's number one hit; don't presume that you can do it justice. 2. If you truly are a Blake Shelton fan, you at least know part of the story. Which in a nutshell, the demo was sent to him first and he really liked it--so he and Miranda both have a special connection with the song.

This is what is should sound like:

I'm fully looking forward to the coming weeks. I'm actually excited to vote, and I haven't felt that excitement since Carrie Underwood was on Idol. Now I just have to remember to vote for the person singing and note their coach (i.e. Blake Shelton). I know what you're thinking, but I'm a country girl, remember?

1 comment: