Thursday, April 28, 2011

Damaging My Eardrums

Apparently I like damaging my eardrums when I go to a concert. Last night I went to an Alter Bridge show, and took a picture of the fact that they were selling ear plugs at a rock concert. Once this was posted on my Facebook, my very loving friends informed me that earplugs don't detract from the experience but just save your eardrums from more damage.
Being that one of those friends quoted a doctor, I have no doubt it's true; BUT I just can't. I have worn plugs when I was singing so I could hear myself; however, when I'm in the crowd I want the pure experience.
Mark Tremonti in Anaheim 4/27/11
I think part of the reason I refuse is because I still have that college girl inside me. She wants the reverb, the miss-mix on occasion, the static or ringing for the hour after. She/I want to feel like I've been to a rock show/concert. It's one of the BEST feelings in the world. If you can still hear perfectly after, did you really go to a ROCK show?

Another reason goes along with that ties into the college girl inside me, and that is--I think--if I have to wear earplugs in the crowd then I'm too old to be a rock show! I don't worry about getting old in many regards--I could care less about wrinkles, gray hair (which I don't have), or the number on my driver's license. I don't need to go out to a club until 3 AM anymore; but I want my live music to be loud and deafening, damn it!

This is the sound I want (a small snipet from last night):


Alter Bridge is an AMAZING example of a GREAT rock show! I worry if I had the ear plugs in that I would miss hearing the excitement in Myles Kennedy's voice when he's speaking to the crowd; never mind the fact it would filter his angelic blues tone that brings a smile to my face and seems to reach any octave. Also, what would the plugs do to Mark Tremonti's riffs and solos? I just can't bear to even think that I could miss those nuances.
Myles Kennedy in Anaheim 4/27/11
I have a pure love for almost all music (granted I tend to focus on vocals because at heart I'm a singer). The flip side of being the stubborn child who won't use earplugs (no matter how good for me they maybe): I do make sure that during shows I take care of my voice. I only yell/scream a certain way, and I clap more than anything. I guess it is just a matter of priorities all around.

1 comment: