Friday, May 13, 2011

Another One(s) Bites the Dust

I was going to wait until the television upfronts were done next week before I talked about shows that are/have been cancelled; but Fox's hatchet job yesterday forced my hand. I'm not sure what the stranger part of the announcement was: 1. They cancelled at least two shows with above mediocre ratings (not stellar but decent) or 2. The announcement came less than a week before they present their schedule for the fall season.

I love television upfronts. The anticipation of a new season, figuring out my DVR's schedule, and finding out which bubbles last or get popped is one of my favorite things. 9 times out of 10 there is inevitably one show that gets cancelled that makes me angry or puts me in despair. It doesn't surprise me that Fox is responsible for that show this season, because it's not the first time. Fox is notorious for not giving their audience enough credit to stick with a show or putting crap reality on instead of quality shows because it's cheaper.

I'd love to say that Fox is the only network responsible for breaking my heart in recent years... but that would be a lie. Every network as done it at least once. Here's my list of the most heartbreaking cancellations for me in recent years; each show's run varies, but all were taken before their time:
1. Breaking In.
The Culprit: Fox
Run Time: Half of a normal season (7 episodes)
This is one of the two shows Fox announced they were cancelling yesterday. The cast is amazing (Christian Slater, hello?)! It's clever, geeky, action packed. It's a waste to have been cancelled. It makes me think that Fox just needed a seat filler for the spring and had no intention on keeping it to begin with.

2. Veronica Mars.
The Culprit: The CW
Run Time: Three Seasons
Veronica Mars was a cult classic. It never had through the roof ratings (but really what CW show does?). But what VM lacked in numbers, it made up in quality and talent. Kristen Bell was an unbelievable heroine with flaws and her own set of problems. She was a female character that every teenage girl on some level could relate to and admire. Not to mention the father/daughter relationship has never been so enviable on TV. I firmly believe the ultimate cancellation of this show was because the execs at the CW forced Rob Thomas to dumb down part of season 3, and to take away the one thing that made VM different from other teen shows--an overall arc/mystery for the entire season.

3. Mercy.
The Culprit: NBC
Run Time: One Season
Mercy was by far my FAVORITE show of the 2009-2010 television season. I have to admit, I only tuned in at first to watch Buffy-alum Michelle Trachtenberg. But within one episode, I was swooning over the writing and Taylor Schilling--she is one of the most relatable characters for me in a very long time (possibly because I watch a lot of supernatural/science fiction/fantasy stuff). This show had talent, a big heart, and amazing drama that I couldn't turn off. Unfortunately, NBC didn't feel the same way.

Taylor Schilling as Nurse Veronica.
The Culprit: ABC
Run Time: Two seasons (sort of; 26 episodes)
For me, Eli Stone wasn't a great show, but it was unbelievably endearing and just made me happy. It included musical numbers before Glee arrived. It's cast--Jonny Lee Miller, Victor Garber, Loretta Devine, Julie Gonzalo--always seemed to be having a fantastic time, which in turn made me have a fantastic time.

5. Tru Calling/Dollhouse.
The Culprit: Fox
Run Time: Two seasons (sort of ; 26 episodes)/ Two seasons (sort of; 27 episodes)
I know this is two shows, but I thought I should do them together because: what is Fox's problem with my girl Eliza Dushku? Can't they give her a steady time slot so that fans know when to tune in? Fox consistently (in both cases) changed time slots--in Tru Calling's case days and start dates. Fans want to watch her, no matter what she's in; but it's very difficult if you don't tell us when she's on!

I should add some (very) honorable mentions: Firefly (Joss Whedon & Nathan Fillion, enough said); Lie to Me (teaches you how to spot a liar); Lipstick Jungle (a somewhat more believable Sex in the City); Chicago Code (Shawn Ryan is a genius); Studio 60 (another show Execs thought needed to be dumbed down to it's detriment); My So-Called Life (teen angst has never been shown this well since); and Saving Grace (Holly Hunter is a bad ass). 

One last thought: Does any body else remember when a television season meant 22 episodes, 2 seasons meant 44 episodes and so on?

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on Lie to Me and Studio 60. :( ~amilarn

    ReplyDelete