Monday, March 14, 2011

Will the Seed Flower?

That's the question that being a Zags fan I have to ask. For the past 12 years, we've performed underwhelmingly for 68% of our appearances.  That being said, we've performed exceptionally well (75%) of the time we were a number 10 seed or lower in the bracket (lowest being a 12 seed).

Simply put: the Gonzaga Bulldogs are on the top of their game when they are the underdog. I firmly believe we can make to the Elite Eight this year, and it's not just because I'm a Zag-faithful. Even Dick Vitale has the Zags going that far.

The Zags aren't even playing a "new" team in the tourney for their first game. They, in fact, played St. John's the opening round in 2000--a tourney in which they were a 10 seed and went to the Sweet 16.
Matt Santangelo scoring over St. John's in 2000. Photo from azstar.net
Beyond the seed and the team the Zags will play, if you're superstitious--and I am--you can also look at the bracket they are playing in. This year they are in the "southeast" bracket, which in the past was usually referred to as the "south" bracket. The two times the Zags have been in the "South/southeast" bracket, they've also made it to the Sweet 16.

I realize I'm making a great superstitious argument for why my Zags should go far in the Big Dance. But the truth is, out of the four brackets, the Southeast bracket is a wild card. It will truly depend on who plays the best game on which day; not, "they don't stand a chance against that powerhouse." As long as Mark Few brings the young Zags to play, the biggest competition in our bracket is Wisconsin.

So, let the Madness begin and I have my fingers crossed that we indeed see Wisconsin this tourney!

 

6 comments:

  1. Would love a Zags/Badgers faceoff in the elite 8!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHEN that happens, we're watching the game together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog Polly (finally) <3 cara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Upon further investigation, the Zags have the easiest route to the Sweet 16 of any 11 seed in the history of the NCAA Tournament.

    - Go Aztecs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dave-I worked hard on my stats... I just didn't include 1995, because it wasn't consecutive to the current 12 years. I wouldn't say it's the easiest route in the history; but out of the 4 this year, certainly doable.

    ReplyDelete