Saturday, March 19, 2011

Now Exiting Pleasantville

So, my Zags are out of the tourney (insert sad face here). I still say that we have an exceptionally young team, so all is not lost. Robert Sacre, who I contend is the best all around player of the Zags (despite the argument for Steven Gray), is a red shirt Junior--so barring drafting to the NBA early, we have at least one more year out of him. I speculate, although very early at this point, that those two years should be awesome. I also love the look of Harris, Stockton, Dower, Carter, etc for the following year.


Also, as a Zag fan I took great joy in the BYU fans' signs that read: "Zags have Stockton, BYU has Jimmer." This sign was hilarious to me on two fronts. The first: they could be comparing him to David Stockton; which is awesome--a senior to our walk on freshman. The second is perhaps they were comparing him to David's dad John. All I have to say to that is, John was a Zag 30 years ago, and college play means nothing to the NBA (i.e.: lame comparison, talk to me after almost 20 years in the NBA).


I could go on pouring out my undying love for the Zags, and I'm sure I will at a later date. (Please take note of the photo below and the Zags' fan in training.) But I have never been so happy to exit Pleasantville.  
My niece, the youngest Zag fan in the family!
I don't know if you've ever seen the Reese Witherspoon movie or not, but Jimmer Fredette of BYU is straight from that fictional town in my eyes. During the movie, the Pleasantville High School basketball team can't miss a shot; it doesn't matter where the shot is taken from. This was Jimmer the ENTIRE game. People were guarding, the shot went in. Shot taken feet, and I mean FEET, above the arc and it went in. Just passed the ball and immediately went up--it went in. It would have been pretty... if I wasn't a Zag fan. 


All that being said, I'm very happy he's graduating. BYU joins the WCC next year. I look forward to seeing them again, especially without Fredette (and Jackson Emery for that matter).  We'll see them in conference play in January 2012, and am certain (and pray) that it won't be a repeat of this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment