Monday, February 7, 2011

Water (Tear) Therapy

For any men who read this, I know you like to think that crying is a "woman's" thing. But the truth is, sometimes there's no better way to get whatever emotion out: frustration, happiness, anger, disappointment, and, of course, sadness.


Pulled from baby-gear.biz

Anger is the one most people don't understand as an emotion that can bring tears, but it's my favorite time to cry. I'm a Southern Woman, which means I'm supposed to be strong willed (and I am), but it also means I'm very respectful-almost to a fault. So instead of yelling at people, I often take a walk and cry my bloody eyes out.

The "anger cry" causes many people a LOT of confusion. Take my poor dear husband for example: depending on my week and schedule, the anger cry can be frequent and unstoppable. Being that he is the world's most wonderful husband, he wants to fix it and make me feel better--which is amazingly sweet and unfortunate for him. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE and APPRECIATE that he holds me through it, but there's nothing he can do beyond that. I just need that "therapy."


It's taken me YEARS to call it that word: "therapy." I use to think it was weakness. I firmly believed that if you saw me cry, you would have to be sworn to secrecy with a blood oath. No one could talk about it. I'll admit, sometimes even now, I still wonder if I can make that oath with people. But I know it's not a weakness, it's a healthy coping mechanism. So, to all Southern (or Anywhere) Women, take your walk and cry those tears; but most of all appreciate the cost of VERY cheap, water therapy.

2 comments:

  1. i completely agree. the angry cry is sometimes the best way to let off steam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Therapy it is! My poor husband still doesn't understand why holding me and playing with my hair doesn't help to turn off the waterworks. I'm always like, "Baby, please just let me cry" in between sobs.

    ReplyDelete