Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Hallmark/ Heathers Appreciation Day

From liewcf.com
I wrote in an earlier post that I believe in letting people know you love them beyond just a specific day. This is why I call Valentine's Day, Hallmark Day. And Hallmark supported this theory by one of their latest slogans, "Valentine's Day is for saying 'I love us.'" In other words, "We are aware we have commericalized this day WAY too much, but we have a solution."

I guess this is a good time to say: I. Do. Not. Like. Valentine's. Day! My husband will readily admit that he is more romantic than me. Don't get me wrong I do loving cards and gifts, but 9 times out of 10 there is always a smart ass edge to them. For anyone who wonders if I wasn't shown affection as a child, that's not even close to the case. I just always did my own thing, and adding smart ass humor to sweet, serious, or mushy stuff is a large part of it.

Beyond just the smart ass side of me, I also have a very warped sense of humor. I love dark comedies and my favorite is Heathers (it's actually one of my favorite movies period). I always joke that it's incredibly romantic. I realize murder isn't actually romantic (although most horror films can be traced back to some sort of love), but I hated high school and found it hysterical. Heathers is my favorite movie to watch on Valentine's Day because of it's truly warped sense of "young love."

From sharetv.com
I want to be clear before I complete this post: I, in no way, think love is a bad thing. I do think, however, the notion of having a day to celebrate love and rub it in other's faces is inappropriate and disgusting. I find the whole day aprehensible and bitterly mean. I believe strongly that you love the people you love, and you tell them that as often and as much as possible. Don't wait for a "special" day or a greeting card company to tell you to.

So, instead of Happy Valentine's Day, I leave you with this:

From 1heckofaguy.com


No comments:

Post a Comment