Friday, January 28, 2011

The End of Dominance?

I watched Gonzaga play (lose to) St. Mary's Thursday night on ESPN2. During the broadcast, they aired a package that looked like it was made by a college student who had just learned how to edit (you know the type: quick cuts, graphics that a 4 year old could do). The package asked if it was the end of Gonzaga's dominance in the WCC. The package irritated me to say the least, because I find it hard to believe that after this season with the Zags' sole senior Steven Gray gone that they won't be back on top. (And I'm not saying Gray's the problem, just noting that he is the ONLY senior.)
These are just a few of my shirts (including one jersey).


Yes, I'm a die hard Zags fan, which means I could be biased (and probably am). I was a Zags fan in diapers listening to my recent Gonzaga Alum father talk about some guy named John Stockton. Then with the creation of the same network responsible for the tragically produced package, I was granted my most memorable Daddy/daughter moments; even now when we're 3,000 miles apart. 


Growing up in South Carolina we weren't able to watch Gonzaga that often, but we always kept track. Then the Zags bested the Clemson Tigers in 1997, and daddy and I could watch and not just discuss the team that we loved. We watched Dan Monson take the Zags to the Dance. I was given tickets for Christmas to see the Zags play live, once was for March Madness and another for the Peach Bowl Classic. Being a true sports fan, these events are seared into my memory--including the fights with a drunk Michigan State fan and the entire Georgia Bulldog pep band.


My love for the Zags is very dear to my heart. I'm a HUGE Daddy's girl and our love for the Zags alone is a bond that I'm sure most girls wish for. I find it very hard to believe, and maybe it is my blind adoration, that one season marks an end of an era of dominance. 


Duke hasn't always won the ACC but they are still dominating. Every team needs a season every 10-12 years to rebuild (most need one every 4-5 years). We have outstanding freshmen who need to get a little more experience. We have that guy John Stockton's son David this year. He's played very well for the most part this season (however, I did want to ring his neck on Thursday for taking an unbalanced 3-point shot with roughly 20 seconds left and no shot clock running). 
Pulled from slumz.boxden.com


I have high hopes for my Zags and Coach Mark Few.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and toes and anything else crossable) that we win the WCC tournament, because with our current record I don't know if we will make it to March Madness if we don't. But being a part of the Dance or not, my heart will be in Spokane with my Zags. 

1 comment:

  1. What happened against those Aztecs?! Billyyyyyyyyyyyyyy White!! Thank you for giving us the confidence we needed to dominate all year.

    ReplyDelete